Monday, October 1, 2012

Couch to 5k


For all those new runners out there or one's that want to start running again. I'd recommend trying out the Couch to 5K program. It's a 9 week program that's helped thousands of new runners get started, including me. About 5 years ago I started running however, I didn't ease into it. I thought kids just run, and run without trouble, maybe that's fine. Uhhh... WRONG. I started running 20 min straight. No warmup, no cool down, no stretch, NADA. I was completely unaware of the proper ways of running. I paid for it too. After about 4 months of doing this I developed terrible pain on the outer part of my knees. It felt like they were burning. I went to my doctor and she didn't diagnose it but said that I needed to cross train (something else I'd never heard of) and to ease up on the distance of my running along with running for less time. I was devastated. I didn't want to quite running! Unfortunately, I had to give up running all together shortly after that because I found out I was expecting. I experienced morning sickness times 10! I was miserable at times and couldn't seem to only experience morning sickness in the morning. It was all day, and throughout my whole entire pregnancy. Anyway after trying here and there after the birth of my son up until now I had knee pain when I'd run. It took a very long time to heal from that terrible decision to just run. Since then I've educated myself and researched loads of information. I read articles, purchased books, and even asked personal trainers. I was determined to be a runner again and do it right. I figured out that prior to a run you must warmup. I walk briskly for 5 min although jogging is ok. I also figured out that cool down is equally as important. I just casually walk for 5 min to slow down my heart rate. Last but not least I've figured out how important it is to STRETCH. I stretch my quads and calves. Helps avoid shin splints and ITBS. Which is what I figured out was the burning with my knees. I then stumbled upon the Couch to 5K program. It was a life changer. I'm so excited to say that I can run today. And for minutes at a time. Prior to this I couldn't even run 2 minutes without pain. I even accomplished a whole 20 min run without walks just a few weeks ago. It was tough, but I did it! It felt great! Since then I've taken some time off from running to focus on a program called Insanity. I took some time off from running because of my knee injuries before and I'm trying my best to avoid any further damage. Insanity is really tough on the knees and I was experiencing pain in my calves when I was running AND doing Insanity. Now that I've been doing Insanity for a month I've decided to incorporate running back into my regimen again. Glad to say that there's no pain what so ever. So if you'd like to be a runner, seriously don't be discouraged. Check out the program. I downloaded the podcasts and listen to them as I'm running.

No comments:

Post a Comment