Saturday, September 7, 2013

Behavior Chart

Our chart:

The levels of reward are from small to large. The red consequences start light and progress to harsher consequences. I don't use the word "Time-Out" anymore, I say "Thinking Time." Our rewards that are along the side are when he reaches the very top. The photos are of some of his favorite things: Subway, the park, McDonald's and chocolate milk with a donut. 

We started a behavior chart awhile back because our 4 year old wasn't listening very well, disobeying, not sharing, back talking, not picking up after himself, etc. Time out wasn't working anymore. I also tried a reward jar technique but that didn't last long. I didn't know what to do or if this would work but here are the charts I came across and took ideas from each one. The first chart was the formula I followed. I took the reward and consequence ideas that I liked from the first two. I liked the idea of the green for good behavior and red for bad from the third chart. I did not want yellow as I included the warning in the red. I then picked rewards that I knew D would be interested in and hoped and prayed this would work. The first link one explains how it works really well. We start in the middle of the green and red. When D does something good: Shares, obeys, cleans up after himself, does homework, etc he goes up one. When we first started we'd make a big deal about him going up one and I always ask him WHY he's gone up or down so he understands. By the end of the night which ever green one he's on he receives that reward the FOLLOWING day. If he lands in red he receives that consequence right away. I focused only on a couple things at first so as not to confuse him or overwhelm anyone. The first little bit he went up and down FREQUENTLY. Now he hardly goes down if at all. If anything he gets really upset if he even gets WARNING. He goes up more and more. I don't reward him now for always sharing, or always listening, etc. I want him to do it to do it, not just to be rewarded. However, from time to time I randomly reward him for anything good he does. I can honestly say this worked! He's a completely different child. The only thing I can say we need more work on is the picking up after himself. He gets distracted easily. 







No comments:

Post a Comment